ADU JURISDICTION GUIDE
CITY OF NAPA
Fees and Regulation (June 2022)
Having ADU on your property is allowed as long as your lot is zoned for residential use (exceptions may vary) and as long as you have an existing single-family home or a multi-family building.
ADU Size Limitations
Floor Area: Maximum of 1,200 Square Feet.
ADU Building Height
The ADU shall be limited to 16’. Building heights greater than 16’, without going over maximum height for the zoning district in which the ADU is located, may be granted with the approval of an administrative permit.
Minimum Lot Size
No minimum. One ADU is allowed per single-family/multi-family lot.
- Front: 20 feet
- Side and Rear: 4feet (Napa Zoning Ordinance)
Parking Space Requirements
- One (1) parking space per ADU is required to be provided on-site.
- Parking spaces may be covered or uncovered, provided as tandem parking on an existing driveway, or on a paved surface in a setback or yard area
- However, no additional parking is required when at least one of these scenarios apply:
- The ADU is located within a half mile of a public transit stop.
- The ADU is within a designated historic district.
- The ADU is within a block from car sharing facilities.
- The ADU is located where on-street parking permits are required but not offered for ADUs.
- When a garage or other parking structure or area is demolished in conjunction with the construction of an ADU or converted to an ADU, replacement of the lost parking is not required. However, replacement parking is encouraged and may be located in any configuration on the same lot as the ADU as a covered, uncovered, or tandem parking space.
Owner Occupancy Requirement
- A deed restriction is required for a JADU, acknowledging owner occupancy and prohibition on sale separate from primary residence.
- An ADU shall provide a separate bathroom and a separate kitchen from the primary residence.
- An ADU requires a separate exterior entrance.
- New or separate utility connections may be required, but connection fees or capacity charges shall be proportional to the impact of the ADU on the sewer or water systems.
- Fire Sprinklers are not required for a new ADU if they are not required in the primary residence.
- Bedrooms: Two bedrooms maximum per ADU.
- No ADU shall be used for transient occupancy.
ADU Permit Fees
- Maverick 392 (Under 500sqft): $0
- Maverick 504: $5,114
- Maverick 748: $7,610
- Annual Sewer Service Charge: $369.30
- Plan Check and Inspection Fee: $318
NOTE: Subject to change by July 1st by a construction cost index
A local agency, special district, or water corporation shall not impose any impact fee upon the development of an accessory dwelling unit less than 750 square feet. Any impact fees charged for an accessory dwelling unit of 750 square feet or more shall be charged proportionately in relation to the square footage of the primary dwelling unit.
City of Napa Water Department
- Address: 1700 Second Street, Suite 100 Napa, CA 94559
- Phone: (707) 257-9521
- Email: email@example.com (Joy Eldredge, Deputy Utilities Director)
- Website Reference: https://www.cityofnapa.org/809/Utilities-Department
City of Napa Sanitation District
Phone: (707) 257-5918
Phone: (707) 257- 9590
We hope this quick reference guide helps you out in your ADU project. Part of our service if you build with us is the full service of our in-house permit technician who handle the processing of your permit on your behalf with no mark-ups.
If you’re interested in building with ADU.Works, please don’t hesitate to book a consultation with us or give us a quick call through our number +1 (650) 227 4810. We’ll gladly discuss the specifications of your permit processing and accommodate any questions you may have. Our team looks forward to hearing from you.
Join our weekly newsletter
FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK AND GET THE LATEST ADU UPDATES!
ADU.Works is a pioneer in providing sustainable accessory dwelling units in California. We are committed to providing low-cost, environmentally friendly accessory dwelling units delivered to you in half the time and for half the price.
Our goal is to use cutting-edge construction technology to alleviate the housing crisis.
GET STARTED WITH A FREE CONSULTATION
A modern dwelling right in your backyard. Boost your earnings, living space, and property value.
Take the first step with our ADU Specialist. Set a schedule with your information and we’ll call you to conduct a FREE assessment.
Can’t decide the date yet? Contact us here instead. Our friendly ADU experts will give you a call to answer your inquiries.