ADU Jurisdiction Guide: City of Pittsburg
Fees and Regulations (July 2022)
All Residential Zoning Area (Single-Family/Multi-Family)
ADU Size Limitations
- One-Bed AD: 850 Sqft. Max
- Multi-Bed ADU: 1,000 Sqft. Max
- Junior ADU: 500 Sqft. Max
ADU Building Height
Minimum Lot Size
ADU Construction Limits
- For existing lots with a single-family residence, or lots in single-family zoning districts, one attached unit (ADU or JADU) and one detached unit (ADU) is allowed.
- For existing lots with multi-family dwellings, ADU’s may be added; however, no more than a 25% increase in units is allowed, and no more than two ADUs may be detached (for example, a lot with 4 existing units may only add one ADU on site).
- Not permitted within any portion of an established front yard, as defined by PMC 18.06.745 (B).
- Must be located at least 4 feet from the walls of the primary dwelling unit or an accessory structure.
- Minimum 4 feet side, corner side and/or rear yard setback, provided the maximum height does not exceed 16 feet with a roof having a pitch of 3:12 or greater.
- Corner side yard setback may be increased as necessary to maintain a sight distance triangle formed by the intersecting street lines and a line joining points on these street lines at a distance of 30 feet from the intersection of these lines.
Parking Space Requirements
- For Detached ADU Units, one parking space is required.
*Unless state exemptions are met like when the ADU is built within a half a mile near public transportation, placed within one block of car sharing locations or established in residential areas with their own parking permit regulations.
- No parking (including replacement parking) is required for attached ADUs and JADUs
Owner Occupancy Requirements
None. Owner occupancy of one dwelling on-site is required for JADUs only.
- ADU must comply with California Building Code fire safety requirements. If the primary dwelling has sprinklers, the ADU must have sprinklers.
- There are no design requirements, in which case the ADU must be similar in shape, materials and style to the primary dwelling.Passageways shall not be required in conjunction with the construction of an accessory dwelling unit.
- New or separate utility connections may be required, but connection fees or capacity charges shall be proportional to the impact of the ADU on the sewer or water systems. It shall not be disproportionately higher than those to develop primary dwellings, so as not to deter the development of ADUs.
Building Permit Fees
Amount based on valuation – only after getting a quote from a GC
Water/Sewer Line Connection Fee
- $5,441 for the connection fee for a 748 Sqft. ADU (5/8″)
- $2,100 deposit to put in the meter as an average cost
Average Time for ADU Plan Sets Approval
(3) (A) A local agency, special district, or water corporation shall not impose any impact fee upon the development of an accessory dwelling unit less than 750 square feet. Any impact fees charged for an accessory dwelling unit of 750 square feet or more shall be charged proportionately in relation to the square footage of the primary dwelling unit.
Planning Project Contact
Kelsey Gunter, Assistant Planner
Tel: (925) 252-4824
Fax: (925) 252-4920
Address: 65 Civic Avenue, Pittsburg, CA 94565
We hope this quick reference guide helps you out in your ADU project. Part of our service if you build with us is the full service of our in-house permit technician who handle the processing of your permit on your behalf with no mark-ups.
If you’re interested in building with ADU.Works, please don’t hesitate to book a consultation with us or give us a quick call through our number +1 (650) 227 4810. We’ll gladly discuss the specifications of your permit processing and accommodate any questions you may have. Our team looks forward to hearing from you.